What is a call for artists?
Calls for artists are indirect sales channels for your artwork. They can include:
- Requests for proposals – Commissions for your artwork
- Grants – Funds that are available for the completion of a project or growth of a practice
- Vendor events – Sell your own artwork at a rental space
- Exhibition opportunities – Agents sell your artwork at a relatively high commission.
- Competitions – Compete with others for a limited number of prizes
It is helpful to think of them in terms of both direct and indirect sales channels as they relate to the margin on your artwork.
How frequently do you apply to calls for artists and for what type do you typically apply? Where have you had the most success in generating the most margin on sales? Help other artists by answering in the comments below.