Midtown Detroit’s Dlectricity 2017 – Call For Artists
Midtown Detroit announces a call for artists for Dlectricity 2017, a biennial nighttime outdoor festival of art and light that showcases extraordinary art by artists and creative design professionals in Detroit’s public spaces.
Deadline: 28 Feb 2017
Up to 25 site-specific, outdoor projects for Midtown Detroit’s Woodward Corridor will be selected through this call. Midtown Detroit is looking for high-quality projects that will activate the outdoor, nighttime landscape of their Woodward Corridor including:
- Light art
- Video art
- 3D video mapping projections
- Multimedia installations
- Projects that use technology or interactivity and community engagement
- Works that utilize mobile platforms (smart phones, tablets)
- Performance (art, dance, theatre, music)
Criteria for selection will include creativity, innovation, and suitability. The selected projects will be announced in May 2017.
This two-day festival was last held in September 2014. The open call process attracted over 360 proposals from artists representing 38 countries. 39 projects were presented. 28 artists were selected from the Open Call and 11 other artists were invited to participate by our Curatorial Committee. Over 3,400 cyclists participated in our signature Light Bike Parade and 150,000 people attended th3 second edition of Dlectricity.
Accepted projects will be funded up to 3,000 USD. Artists will receive a 1,000 USD honorarium.
The media coverage extended beyond the Detroit market for this festival. The Dlectricity social media channels have a large and growing audience. The website is frequently visited. Each artist is well represented on the website and all project info is archived.
The goals of Dlectricity 2017 include:
- Introduce thousands of people to innovative contemporary art. Awaken them to the potential impact of art on public spaces.
- Showcase diversity in the arts by working with more artists of color.
- Provide a platform and a real budget for emerging and international artists to develop new work. Further support the artistic community by employing other artists and tech people to help the participating artists realize their installations.
- Strengthen the community and economy over the festival weekend. On a broader scale, Dlectricity plays a positive role in shining a spotlight on the success of Midtown, generating unprecedented excitement for the City of Detroit, and building upon Detroit’s reputation as being a world destination for the arts.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.