Permanent Outdoor Sculpture – Call For Artists
The City of Penticton and Valley First, a division of First West Credit Union are issuing a call out to artists for a permanent outdoor sculpture. The work will be displayed in the heart of downtown Penticton in front of Valley First at 184 Main Street in Penticton, BC. Completed sculptures or proposed designs may be submitted. Proposed designs must include examples of previous work and detailed drawings. Installation on May 3, 2019. The sculpture will become part of the permanent Public Art Inventory of the City of Penticton.
Deadline: 14 Dec 2018
Artists will be responsible for transportation of their sculpture to the site. The City will work with the artist to provide a proper base for the sculpture. The City will create and install signage in consultation with the artist. For international entries, artists must cover their own shipping costs up front and will need to pay for any import fees and customer broker fees.
Permanent Outdoor Sculpture Requirements
The sculpture must be created using durable materials able to withstand 10-15 years in an outdoor environment. Preference will be given to art works that are colourful and of a shape and scale that will enhance the street scape location. Ideally the piece will reflect the attributes of Valley First and the City of Penticton described as:
- Authentic: Skip the acronyms, jargon, and euphemisms. Ensure a clear message through a modest, authentic, and personable tone.
- Smart: Smart is always insightful and relevant. It is being resourceful and effective.
- Honest: Transparent and trustworthy. Like a good friend, honesty builds a stronger relationship.
- Innovative: Understand the market, listen to everyone, and then try an entirely new creative and progressive approach.
- Refreshing: The unexpected truth is stimulating. It’s not just what you say but how and where you say it.
- Diverse: Every individual is unique. Accept and respect others creating a safe and positive environment.
- Communal: Embrace your neighbours and form collaborative and meaningful relationships. Embrace future generations with excitement and vibrancy.
Permanent Outdoor Sculpture Artist Benefits
The successful artist will be paid $30,000 for their work. Artwork will be displayed in a highly visible public area with a large volume of foot traffic throughout the year. The location of the sculpture is within the popular Saturday Market boundaries. The successful artist will be recognized with their information displayed online and in print through various media including brochures and nameplates. The successful artist will be invited to multiple grand opening events including an artists reception, artists talk, and an unveiling ceremony that will be hosted in conjunction with the launch of the 2019 Penticton Public Sculpture Exhibit.
About the City of Penticton
The City of Penticton is a vibrant, innovative, adventurous waterfront city focused on sustainability, community, and economic opportunity. Penticton is located in the south central region of British Columbia in an area known collectively as the Okanagan Valley. With over 2100 hours of sunshine and only 15 inches of rain annually, the area has a comfortable climate year round.
Penticton is one of two cities in the world situated between two lakes. Beaches and water fun are part of the Summer culture – dive in like a local and get wet. Okanagan and Skaha Beaches feature nearly 15 acres of premium, sandy beach and swimming areas. Along with all of the year-round recreational activities available, agriculture has been an important contributor to Penticton’s livelihood. There are over 80 wineries in the Penticton metropolitan area, 5 craft breweries, and 3 distilleries all within easy distance of the downtown core.
For more information, contact email@example.com.