World of Co Artist Residency 2020 offers a friendly, supportive, and stimulating atmosphere to international and Bulgarian artists, curators, researchers and art managers. The residency enables participants to develop ongoing research, work on art projects, and discover the city and artistic scene of Bulgaria. By creating opportunities for meetings, the program initiates an environment for exchanges and discussions to foster common experiments between people and venues from various disciplinary fields. During the residency, the artists focus on research, experiments, production, learning new skills, critical discourse, networking, and collaboration.
Deadline: 25 Feb 2020
The residency is the first year-round program in the country. It runs from January to December. World of Co Alumni consists of more than 100 residents, working in a variety of artistic fields like fine arts, film, literature, fashion, and graphic design. Open to artists of all ages at any point in their career – visual artists, textile artists, media artists, multidisciplinary artists, photographers, graphic designers, illustrators, animators, fashion designers, jewelry designers, educators, and video / film makers from all around the world.
World of Co Artist Residency 2020 Studio Space
Living in a beautiful apartment in the city center, meeting locals, visiting art events in unique spaces, and enjoying wonderful views accompanied by the great food and drinks will make you remember your stay in Sofia.
The residency includes a spacious apartment that occupies the entire floor of a historic residential building from 1895, surviving both World Wars. Despite the fact that the whole space is renovated, some of the details in the interior are preserved and person still can immerse in the days of the Kingdom of Bulgaria.
The apartment includes three fully-furnished individual bedrooms with bed, nightstand, clothes rack, and desk in addition to the one in the studio, where the artists can create when they need some privacy. The studio is part of the same apartment, a bright open shared space, equipped with big working desks, comfortable chairs, lamps, and easels. Except the private bedrooms, everything else is shared with future fellows – bathroom, balcony, fully equipped kitchen (with utensils, oven, microwave, coffee machine, toaster, fridge, and washing machine).
The residents have access to fast Wi-Fi connection, art and travel books, some English novels, and catalogs of previous residents and Bulgarian artists. Some basic tools such as hammers, screwdrivers, levels, scissors, pliers, wire, tape, glue, paper, and painting materials donated by previous artists are at your disposal. Cleaning service included.
- Technical and research support in the implementation of the artists’ projects
- Presenting and promoting the artists and their projects produced during the residency through World of Co network, website, and social media
- Welcome pack and Q&A on-boarding session – practical information about your life in Sofia
- Selected list with independent art spaces, institutional art galleries and museums, art supply stores, print shops, hardware shops, bars, and restaurants in Sofia
- Curated list of art and culture events happening in Sofia during your stay
- Bulgarian SIM card
- Guided cultural program with specially selected meetings and artists’ visits
- Series of sessions: Insights into artistic research
- Moderated discussion: Building an effective online presence as artist – tips and advises
- Group meetings: Artists’ talks and goals for the residency
- Shared discussions on progress, issues, and project stages
- Learning the basics of Bulgarian language with World of Co team
- Workshops in traditional crafts or other can be organized (Optional – not included in the residency fee)
- Curated group exhibition / open studio at the end of the residency session
- Gallery show organization and coordination, artist statements, bios, invites, and set up
- Selection of gallery, art, or alternative space for the exhibition
The mission of World of Co Artist Residency is to develop a collaborative platform for artistic and cultural exchange and social equity. The World of Co has hosted artists from Europe, Australia, Africa, Asia, and South and North America. Creative topics relate to social equity, so together we can bring more awareness of Bulgaria and in the world.
About World of Co Artist Residency
The World of Co Artist Residency, international multidisciplinary art program, is based in the heart of Sofia. They create space for artistic exploration while introducing the vibrant cultural and contemporary art scene in the beautiful capital of Bulgaria. The mission of World of Co Artist Residency is to develop a collaborative platform for artistic and cultural exchange, driven by the new inspirations from the people and the city. The residency fosters communication and cooperation between guest artists, their local fellows, galleries, art centers, and alternative spaces. The Residency provides artists the opportunity to exhibit in front of the Bulgarian audience. World of Co partners with contemporary art galleries, universities, alternative spaces, NGOs, and other organizations.
About Sofia, Bulgaria
Sofia is the capital of Bulgaria. It is a dynamic city with a vivid art scene, parks, and urban treasures. Always have something new to explore. The city represents a striking and interesting mixture of Eastern and Western manners, culture, and lifestyle. It is a place with friendly vibes and rich history. Dive into the eclectic nature through discovering brutalist Communist architecture, the Ottoman urban structures, archaeological sites, and modern districts. The soul of Sofia is the artsy side streets and alleys, public spaces where young people gather, and local outdoor food, book, and flea markets.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.