Art Speaks Juried Exhibition (Virginia Artists) – Call For Artists
[Side Arts Certified Sponsored Listing] The Bay School Community Arts Center announces a call for artists for Art Speaks, a juried exhibition for Virginia artists. This statewide show brings the best of Virginia’s contemporary artists to a small-town gallery in Mathews, on the Chesapeake Bay, showcasing two- and three-dimensional artwork.
Apply by: 1 March 2024
Gallery show dates are April 27 – May 27, 2024.
Joe Gyurcsak will be this year’s juror and judge.
In its 11th year, the Art Speaks Juried Exhibition has a strong reputation across the state. Since 2013, 501 Virginia artists have applied, and 337 have been accepted, to an Art Speaks show. Each year, between 80 and 95 works are selected from 60 to 80 artists. There are separate first, second, and third place awards for 2D and 3D work, along with twelve other awards, totaling $6,350. Generally, three times as many 2D artists apply as 3D artists, providing high opportunities for those few 3D artists to win awards.
A full color exhibition catalogue is published before the show opens. It is mailed to 125 galleries around Virginia, as well as widely distributed in Mathews and the surrounding area. The exhibition is available to view and purchase on the Bay School Community Arts Center website for a year from the day of show opening. An active social media presence markets the exhibition and participating artists throughout the month-long exhibition. Many artists who have shown in Art Speaks continue to show their work in the Art Speaks Gallery and other area galleries, and have found teaching opportunities.
About The Bay School Community Arts Center
The Bay School Community Arts Center is a non-profit organization whose mission is to provide people of all ages and abilities the opportunity to learn, experience, and appreciate the arts.
Through excellence and diversity in classes, exhibits, lectures, and performances, the Bay School is a gathering place for all. To complete this mission, the Center:
- Sponsors or conducts educational workshops, training, conferences, programs, and demonstrations of techniques employed in visual arts.
- Provides creative opportunities for adults and children.
- Supports and encourages economic development of Mathews County in an environmentally sustainable manner.
- Fosters an appreciation of the arts, and encourages people of all ages and abilities to explore their creativity.
- Provides a resource for lifelong learning.
- Supports local artists’ artistic endeavors by offering gallery space.
- Aims to become a regional arts center and community asset, supporting all aspects of the arts, including music and theater, and to contribute to the revitalization of Mathews Courthouse.
Wendy Wells founded the Bay School in 1997 as the Mathews County School of Country Arts. Wendy was passionate about her vision to have a community arts center in Mathews, a small rural town on the Middle Peninsula.
“Conceived in her fertile brain and nurtured more than 8 years by her remarkable creativity, the Bay School is the embodiment of Wendy Wells’ vision. To say that she started it from scratch is to overestimate its starting point… Ms. Wells’ legacy is a vibrant organization that impacts the lives of hundreds of people throughout Mathews and neighboring communities with the uplifting touch of creativity and beauty.” – Rosalyn White (Board Chairman ‘03-’05)
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org