KIRA 2019 – Call For Artists
Kingsbrae International Residence for the Arts (KIRA) announces a call for artists for KIRA 2019, awarding up to fifteen artists with one month residencies in St. Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada.
Deadline: 15 Dec 2018
- Support artists by providing space for creative inquiry and time to take their creative practice to the next level
- Invite artists to explore their ideas and practice within the context of the region including Kingsbrae Garden, a 27-acre horticultural masterpiece located in the historic seaside town of St. Andrews, New Brunswick
- Create a community of artists, thinkers, and practitioners
- Introduce and thoughtfully engage artists with the community
KIRA 2019 artists will be selected using a panel review process who considers the following criteria: overall merit of work, readiness to engage with the community, potential to develop creative practice, influence by the location, and statistical data including career level, and geographic location. References of finalists will be contacted. A 30-minute conference call between the finalists and program administrators will be conducted before acceptance into the residency program.
KIRA 2019 Program Details and Support
- One month of free studio space in a freestanding 300-square foot studio equip with Wi-Fi
- Awarded stipend of $1,500 per month
- Artists will be responsible for covering costs associated with materials and shipping, travel costs, and other living expenses
- Private bedroom/bathroom in a well-maintained historic property located steps away from the studio
- Up to five artists living on-site plus the program director
- Two meals a day
- Audience engagement opportunities
- Access to Kingsbrae Garden public events
- Scheduled access to: nontoxic printmaking equipment (linoblock, woodcut, and letter set printing, range of typeset), ceramics equipment (pottery kick-wheels, medium sized kiln, outdoor gas fired kiln), woodshop and mechanical shop with a range of basic hand tools and resources
- Artists will participate in Open Studios for the public Saturdays from 10am-1pm
Artists will be provided with an individual studio space, comfortable housing, up to two prepared meals each day and a stipend. They will live on a historic property in a beautiful seaside town and work in studios located on the property. The residence is within walking distance of the down town. Artists should bring all materials needed as supplies and provisions are limited in town. As part of the residency, artists engage with the community weekly during Open Studio Days. During this time the artist will share their weekly progress. Artists will present a final Artist Experience the last week of residency to the visiting public.
About Kingsbrae International Residence for the Arts
Kingsbrae International Residence for the Arts is located in the historic seaside town of St Andrews by the Sea. St Andrews is a renowned for its many artists and art organizations and venues. Sunbury Shores Arts & Nature Centre and the St Andrews Arts Council host arts exhibits, workshops, and opportunities to partner with and learn from the many artisans who both live in and visit the Town during the peak months. KIRA is the only organization of its kind in Atlantic Canada. KIRA has its own Artistic Director, Geoff Slater, well known in the art world the “Painter of Lines”, Geoff is available to guide and aid the artists as required.
For more information, contact email@example.com.